Wednesday, July 30, 2014

DIY Chevron Serving Tray - I saw it on Pinterest

7/29/2014

Like everyone else on Pinterst, I pin a ridiculous number of things I will likely never do but that look super cool. I saw this adorable chevron tray and pinned it for the "future." But imagine my surprise when my cousin commented on it and asked me to make her one! Well, now I had a reason to try it out! And I am so glad I did, because I think it is one of my favorite things I have done. She chose the colors that she wanted, and I think they turned out great. Want one? Let me know!! :)


My version






Pinterest version:



Materials
- Wooden tray...look HERE
- Ruler
- Pencil
- Acrylic paint (in any color you choose)
- Paint brushes
- Blue tape

Steps
- Step 1: Use this basic tutorial for drawing a chevron patter on your tray. Make sure you have decided which way you want your chevron stripes to face!







- Step 2: Use the blue tape to tape around the bottom edge of the tray to protect it from your "pop" color.



- Step 3: Paint your "pop" color all the way around. Because of the nature of the acrylic paint, you should only need one even coat and it dries very quickly. Once finished, immediately go wash your brush with water and dish soap. The paint should come out easily and be ready for the next color (it is perfectly fine to paint with a damp brush!)





- Step 4: Wait for the pop color to dry, then remove the tape on the bottom of the tray. Now put the blue tape around the edge of the sides of the tray to protect your "pop" color from the chevron stripes.

- Step 5: Place pieces of blue tape right along the chevron stripe lines, alternating every other stripe. This is part that takes the most patience! Make sure you are really pressing down the edges of the tape to avoid seepage.



- Step 6: Choose one of your chevron colors and paint. When painting over the tape, try to match your brush strokes with the angle of the tape, running along beside/on top of it...try not to push paint against it because that will encourage more seepage!




- Step 7: Wait for that to dry (30 min). Remove the tape on the bottom of the tray, but leave the tape along the sides. Now tape over the black stripes, being as precise as possible over the lines. Don't worry, the tape will not take over the pain color.




- Step 8: Paint your other chevron color.



- Step 9: Remove all of the tape and use the paintbrush to fix any small blemishes.



Enjoy!!!


This is without a doubt a 5 star DIY project. I love the way it turned out!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much Amber!! I love how it turned out! Perfect for our living room!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete